Monday, July 4, 2011

My Independence Day Blgo: Let Freedom Ring!

Yes, dear reader; I meant blog.

This weekend I did something I've never attempted before. I drew a cartoon. Ok, Ok, with respect to real cartoonists, it's not so much a cartoon as a doodle. But I had an idea, one I thought was funny enough to give it a shot. I only encountered two problems: What to draw, and what to write.

I can't draw, so that meant I had to figure out what absolutely had to be seen on the page. Which meant figuring out what information was important. Or, perhaps more importantly, what wasn't. 

It all started the way most good art does, with a true life experience. It was a Sunday like any other, except for the fact that my soon-to-be-estranged husband and I were actually (shock!) sitting at the breakfast table, at the same time, contemplating breakfast, to be eaten together. If you've ever been caught in the soon to be estranged scenario, then the aforementioned shock will make sense to you. (If not, well then, bully for you... and I hope you never do!)  

So on this particular morning, we were communicating, verbally, with one another, instead of via an iPhone (me) or the internet (him) with others. You see, my husband abhors national politics, and I abhor local ones, so he reads a local paper and I read a national. On this one occasion, for one odd reason or another, it just worked. We talked. And we laughed. It was a rather refreshing change. Perhaps we are not so soon as I once thought to be estranged.

We had a lovely breakfast. Then, with the plates finally scraped and the dishwasher humming, I sat down to my trusty sketchbook. I always keep on hand, (doesn't everyone?) just in case such an occasion should arise. It's good to be prepared. Drawing, I found, was nothing like writing. I didn't ponder where to start; or what to draw. In fact, now that I look back on it, I just sort of held the pencil, and let the brain tell the fingers where to go.

All through breakfast I thought about the dialogue between the two principles. I couldn't think of what to write. Something catchy and insightful, or at the very least clever. I gave up and drew in a placeholder. That's when it hit me... it really didn't matter what was being said, as much as who said it, and how. Like Uncle Ari says: Dialogue is character.  Bingo! That was that.  


The Bottom Line: I'm Al Lee, and I am recovering Perfectonista.

Today I declare myself free of the bonds of my Revisionist tendency to proffer over-edited voiceless text. In the name of Sorkin, King and shipping, I declare my independence, so that The Voice survives and The Work gets done. Perios.

No comments:

Post a Comment