Saturday, December 11, 2010

Life and Dads and other mixed messages.

How little life resembles a linear chart going from A to B, how much more like a backroad where you may get lost along the way but end up meeting some wonderful people you'd never have met.
-Naomi Rose  
I bought myself a gift today, Keith Richards' latest book. It's called Life. Catchy title. 

I know, I know... Christmas is only 2 weeks away, but I couldn't wait. Patience... not one of my virtues.
No wonder I struggle with Act Two.

Earlier this week, a friend of a friend pitched a screenplay very much like the one I'm currently working on. The studio liked the idea. They bought it... for a big number. Not big. HUGE. 

Friend 1 says: "See? I knew you were onto something!" 
Friend 2 says: "Maybe this writing thing isn't what you're supposed to be doing right now."

At the DGA award dinner, a very famous hyphenate walked write up to me and said: "Keep writing!"
He was so animated, his enthusiasm, infectious. I'm pretty sure he was sober, too. He was simply... passionate.

It occurs to me just now as I write this that that's why a friend's friend got the big number. I stopped being passionate about the project. Life crept in, got in the way. There can only be one reason. I allowed it to.

This week I had three important meetings, with three important people. Saying yes to them meant saying no to someone else. I fell behind on my Tweeting. I took an extra hour for lunch. I made time.

My Dad always says, if you take a man's money, you owe him a day's work. If you write/direct/produce for an audience, they may or may not pay you any money. If they are kind enough to show up, then they are paying you, with their time and attention. We the Hypehates have an obligation to make it worth their while.

The Bottom Line: Live with passion, write with passion. 
You owe it to your characters. They're people too. 

Nothing less will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment